5 Best Free Antivirus Softwares

Saturday, August 22, 2009

There has been a lot of debate on which software is the best, which takes the most resources and which is not good at catching viruses. Apart from all of the discussion, I am collecting all the free antiviruses which I have used at one time or the other. I have found all of them to be doing a good job atleast in terms of ROI as they are free. I’m listing top 5 free antiviruses which I have used. If anyone of the readers has used some other good antivirus which is also free, please let us know through comments.

AVG Antivirus

AVG_Free_8

The first one which I would like to quote is AVG as I have used it for a long time and have been satisfied with its performance. Lately I have noticed that it didn’t detect some of the latest viruses but that may be because I don’t update my antivirus frequently. It can be downloaded from here:

Link : AVG Free Edition 8.0.169 (47.7 MB)

Rising Antivirus

Rising_Antivirus

I know this will be a new name to many and it is relatively a new antivirus. I got it a few months back and installed it on one of my test systems and then installed it on one of my client’s PC and it has been impressive. I felt save after I installed it as it caught most of the viruses which AVG was not able to catch and it’s security is more stronger than AVG. So I would recommend Rising Antivirus if you’re looking for a good antivirus for your home system which doesn’t take a lot of resources and keeps the system safe.

Top 5 Free Antivirus Software Rising Antivirus Free Edition 20.56 (54.1 MB)

AVAST Antivirus

Top 5 Free Antivirus Software

I have used AVAST long time back but it’s really good because it’s light weight, doesn’t take much resources and it’s fast in scanning. It has got boot time scanning which makes it less vulnerable to startup viruses and worms. The problem lies in it’s detection of viruses. It’s not as quick as other antiviruses in catching the viruses. It can be downloaded from the following location:

Top 5 Free Antivirus Software Avast Antivirus 4.8 Home Edition (26.2 MB)

Avira Antivir

Avira_AntiVir

Avira Antivir has a very good reputation for it’s low system resources and high detection rates. It can be very reliable in protecting home computers. The confidence in Avira Antivir is built more after seeing it’s user base. It has got about 15 million satisfied users around the globe. The down side of it is that it’s scanning is very slow. It can be downloaded from the following link:

Top 5 Free Antivirus Software Avira AntiVir Personal 8.1 (23.9 MB)

Comodo Antivirus

comodo_antivirus

Last but not the least, Comodo Antivirus is another ultra light weight antivirus with blazing speed scanner. It has a nice user interface. But the problem with Comodo antivirus is that of its detection rate. It’s detection rate is not all the good so one can’t feel safe with Comodo Antivirus. It can be downloaded from the following location:

Top 5 Free Antivirus Software Comodo Antivirus 2.0 Beta (34.6 MB)

If you have any other antivirus which is ofcourse free, please let me know through comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 

Popular Posts